Did You Know?
1. Local Talent. Our orchestra members are local. More than 50 musicians travel from all parts of Humboldt County including Garberville, Fortuna, Eureka, Arcata, Trinidad & Willow Creek – and one from Redding!
2. Persistence & Passion! Each musician devotes about 150 hours each year to rehearsing and performing concerts – in addition to personal time spent practicing and learning music!
3. Schools to Symphony. Each year we partner with the Humboldt County Office of Education to offer school children a free concert with free busing, during the school day. Over 1,400 school children attend this annual concert.
4. Musicians to Schools. Small ensembles of orchestra musicians visit 4th through 6th grades to demonstrate their instruments, play short pieces for them and talk about playing music. They also answer questions and encourage students to play and to take advantage of school music programs.
5. A Silver Anniversary. In October we begin celebrating our 25th year of providing orchestral music for the pleasure of Humboldt County. We have commissioned a special symphonic work just for the occasion. Dancing Man Rhapsody is being written to feature Terrie Baune, our concertmaster, by a prestigious American composer, Libby Larsen who will also spend a week in residence.
6. Eureka Symphony Chorus. Our new chorus made its debut last December and thrilled audiences. So they will be back twice next season – for the Holiday concert and the final concert, an exciting symphony by Beethoven.
7. Musical Notes. An hour before each concert there’s a free informal lecture about the music, the composers and the historic time in which the music was written – presented by our concertmaster and another fine musician.
8. Modest ticket prices & exceptional quality. Main floor seats start at just $19. There is also a 10-ticket coupon for $100. These tickets can be used all season long. And kids 12 and under are FREE when with a paid adult.
9. A beautiful concert hall. Our home is the Arkley Center for the Performing Arts, one of Eureka’s architectural treasures.
10. Local Support. Generous donors and the support of businesses make it possible to offer outstanding live classical music, education and outreach programs right here in our own community.