Over 30 years ago, an enthusiastic group of local musicians assembled under the baton of Kenneth Hannaford for performances of Johannes Brahms’ Requiem. The Eureka Symphony Orchestra was born. Valgene Phillips (1996-1998) and Kenneth Ayoob (1998-2002) contributed the resources, artistic leadership and stability that led to the next phase of orchestra development under the leadership of Music Director Carol Jacobson (2003 - Present). The Eureka Symphony is a community orchestra providing high quality music, performed,supported and appreciated by all ages, bringing enrichment to musicians and our community.
Over the years, the Eureka Symphony has performed in many venues becoming a community partner with the Arkley Center for the Performing Arts (ACPA) in 2007. After a one-year absence from ACPA in the 2013-14 season, the orchestra returned to this lovely venue. A strong collegial relationship also developed with North Coast Dance which manages the venue.
The success of our Symphony is assured into the future with the outstanding guidance of its committed Board of Directors and the generous support of this community.
Venue & Photos
Opened on December 16, 1920 as the Sweasey Theatre, it was taken over by Loew’s Inc. in 1921 and renamed Loew’s State Theatre. In 1929, the interior was destroyed by fire and it was renovated. In June 1943, another fire did some damage and also considerable water damage was incurred. After years as a movie palace, the Loew’s State Theatre was closed in 1973 and was turned into Daly’s Department store.
Daly’s closed in 1995 and was abandoned for over ten years. The local university, Humboldt State, looked into using it for performing arts but finally backed out, possibly because the building required too much work. Its decaying state became something of an eyesore.
It was purchased by the Arkley’s in 2003 and renovation/restoration work began. In 2007 it was re-opened as the Arkley Center for the Performing Arts.